Monday, January 22, 2007

Week 3 of 2007

On Knitting….

This third week of 2007 was quite eventful in South Texas. The local news stations had a field day providing overkill coverage on the “Artic Blast” of 2007. The city was virtually paralyzed for two days as freezing rain made traveling on the roads dangerous for us “not used to ice or snow on the roads” San Antonians. Oh well, at least it meant more knitting time for this cold and wet weather hater plus a rather cool looking short-lived iced winter wonderland.



In the course of three days I managed to knit three hats. Two were modified versions of Wendy Bernard’s Last Minute “Purled” Beret and another was of my own design. The purple beret has since been packaged and mailed off to my sister in New Haven. Hopefully it not only fits her, but is to her liking as well. Since Saturday was another gray and yucky day, and being cooped up in the house was not an option, I was able to wear my green hat during our daylong outing. Yay for warm wool hats!!





Two birds were killed with one stone this week as well. Not only did I manage to fulfill resolution #5 for this year, I also cast on for an additional theme in socktopia’s KAL.

Considering that I had never knitted a sock before and had no idea what the process consisted of, I decided that Blue Monday and Knit Dorm Socks would be a wonderful combination. The way I figured it, most people don’t look forward to Mondays, get kind of blue and would rather lounge around than go to work or school. These socks would fit perfectly is such situations.



A surprise of surprises did occur while I was knitting up my dorm socks. DD said she wanted a pair just like the ones I was knitting. “Well,” I asked myself, “what better way to shoo the blues away than to have another person with you and Celebrate Good Times instead? Bring out the bonbons and crank up the music, four happy feet are going to dance Blue Monday away.



I used size 6(US) dpns and knit together three strands of Knit Picks Palette in Sky, Pool, and Blue to represent the different degrees of blueness one might feel on Monday. I found the pattern easy enough and a quick knit. As a matter of fact, it is going into my collection of saved patterns for future use. I do have to admit though that I really didn’t find knitting socks very pleasurable. I found it to be more of a chore. Maybe it was the pattern, maybe the yarn, I don’t know. At least I know I can knit them if I need to. ;)

On Stash Building….

Just a little purchase from Colour Mart to take advantage of their special prices. I love their silk and cashmere and am glad I ordered when I did because the price for lace weight silk went up $4. I managed to get some lace weight in Dark Navy, Sky, Blush and Dark Red (which is the most beautiful color I’ve laid eyes on.) I decided to try their DK SWT silk in Grey and was very happy with the feel and color of the yarn when I knit up a swatch. Almost all yarns have a project reserved for them. Mostly lacey wraps for my sisters and myself since all three of us should be graduating this May with either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. I think I’ll start with the SWT and see how the Lady’s Circular Cape from Victorian Lace Today turns out.

Happy knitting and stash building to all!!

4 Comments:

At 22/1/07 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea knitting hats and cozy socks during the ice storm! Love that purple one!

 
At 23/1/07 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the hats, particularly the purple one. And the socks look so warm and cozy. Just the kind of thing for a Monday when it's cold outside and you don't really want to go to work.

 
At 24/1/07 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those hats are such gorgeous colors! And great socks, I did my first pair last year - wait till you get really hooked now....it's the yarn.

 
At 24/1/07 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those hats are such gorgeous colors! And great socks, I did my first pair last year - wait till you get really hooked now....it's the yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home